Diarrhea is a common issue in dogs of all breeds. It's because they like to sniff, chew, and lick everything that comes in front of their nose. However, frequent diarrhea can also be the sign of some more severe problems that can bother your pooch.
The reasons for diarrhea in French bulldogs
We all know that watery and frequent stools present a sort of discomfort in your furry friend. However, those issues can also become a life-threating since diarrhea leads to dehydration.
It's a well-known fact that French bulldogs have sensitive stomachs. They can suffer from bloating and gasses, so that's why it is essential to choose the correct diet. The food rich in fibers presents one of the most common reasons for a Frenchie's watery stools. However, it can also be triggered by some type of parasites, such as Giardia, roundworms, hookworms, and others.
To make sure if your Frenchie suffers from some severe health issue, it's best to give his stool to analysis.
How to stop diarrhea in dogs
One of the most important things to do when a dog's having diarrhea is to pay attention to hydration. If your dog refuses to drink water, my advice is to give him/her electrolytes by using a syringe. In that way, you'll help his/her body to return the optimal balance of electrolytes.
When we talk about food, you need to stop giving your Frenchie ingredients rich in fiber such as fruits and veggies. Boiled rice will regulate the dog's watery stools. You can also add a few slices of cooked chicken meat and feed him/her until the stool gets back to normal.
What to do if your Frenchie is vomiting and having diarrhea?
Watery stools and vomiting may point out not only to an inappropriate diet but also to other severe issues. Poisoning and GI infections can be only one of them. In this case, visiting a vet is 'a must.'
- Since you shouldn't load your dog's stomach with food if he/she's vomiting, I recommend you to remove all the food for 12 hours.
- Provide your pooch with plenty of clean and freshwater
- Add to your dog's water bowl an electrolyte replacement supplement
- After 12 hours of food restriction, you can give a small amount of boiled rice with white chicken meat to your Frenchie. It's also advisable to include a dog probiotic supplement to help him/her maintain a healthy mix of bacteria
- Gradually increase the amount of food if your dog stopped vomiting.
How does your Frenchie's stool should look like?
- A dog's stool should be 'chocolate' brown in color. However, other brown color variations can also be included because they depend on your dog's diet.
- It should be compact, moist and easy to pick.
- The round and hard stool is the sign that your Frenchie doesn't drink enough water.
- Colors like red, yellow, black, and white traces are the sign that your dog's having a GI issue.